Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Wedding Recap In Which Very Little Wedding is Recapped

Where to begin, where to begin.  There is so much to say about the wedding that I didn't know where to start which is why I haven't posted anything yet.  I decided to break it down into four parts:  this post, pre-wedding, ceremony and reception.  I realize that this rehashing isn't going to be particularly interesting to anyone but me but since this is my, in the words of Mike Birbiglia, "secret public journal" I am going to do it anyway. 

Also, I am going to apologize in advance because I am going to do a lot of self-congratulating and patting us on the back in these posts.  We worked SO freaking hard on this wedding and worked on so many little details to have it turn out a certain way and to have it basically hit a home run on nearly every point feels amazing.  Sorry to be boastful but we both really feel that way which is good; it is how every couple should feel after their wedding.  We wanted the wedding to be joyous, celebratory, unique, inclusive, welcoming and most imporantly everything needed to be authentically "us".  We didn't want to be a wedding where you could throw in any couple into our roles and have it feel right.  I think we nailed those criteria.

Before I get too far into dissecting the weekend I do need to acknowledge that a lot of the weekend wouldn't have gone quite as well without the help of many, many friends.  Mike and Amber came over twice before the wedding to cut out lemon wings, bag earplugs and help with the Theo Chocolate favors.  My brother and his girlfriend Diane (that I had met only once before by the way) came over to make a zillion tissue paper pom poms and then Diane came over again two nights later to help me make and frost 90 black rabbit cookies for the gift bags.  All four of them also worked tirelessly on the day of the reception to help make the reception space look beautiful.  They were joined by so many others:  Michelle, best man Matt, Cherie, Todd, Patti, Paul, the whole Coocoochin clan, Kevin's co-worker Denise and her husband Curt.  I am certain I have missed someone and will feel like a jerk when it is pointed out so I apologize now for forgetting; the day was a blur.  It is just amazing how people jumped in to help.   Kevin and I kept commenting all weekend long and for many days afterwards how lucky we are to have such great friends. 

Next post:  actual wedding things discussed.  Maybe even a picture or two!

No comments: