Sunday, February 7, 2010

Weekly Training Log - Week 4

A good week this was. Here are the stats.

Sunday - Ran 5 miles. I just downloaded the Garmin today and discovered that the last two miles were actually the fastest. I think I was in a hurry to get done and get back to the car.

Tuesday - I never thought I would say this but "thank you treadmill". Because of some family medical drama (everything is back to normal now) I missed my normal after work run but I still got home by 9:00. The problem was this was the season premiere of "Lost". If I didn't have the treadmill and the TV in the garage my run would have been completely forgotten. Instead I hopped on the treadmill and did 3 miles while having my mind further twisted into knots by that show.

Thursday - One hour yoga class. Stretchy, stretchy, good, good.

Friday - More later night running on the treadmill. 3 miles that seemed extra hard.

Saturday - Home after dark again but it was early enough that I figured I should be outside so I put on my reflective vest, grabbed my flashlight and got 3 in. I also almost tripped and fell flat on my face. A flashlight only works if you aim in on the ground consistently.

Total mileage: 14 miles.

This week starts "official" half-marathon training. I am using Hal Higdon's Intermediate plan but I am going to modify it a little bit. I am going to run four days a week and cross-train on one of the short run days. Of course, the days of the runs will have to be bounced around to accommodate my yoga class and different activities that come up. Eugene here I come!

1 comment:

thirteen.one said...

Higdon's plans are solid, good choice. The one surprise to me with this intermediate plan is that it doesn't appear to allow any taper. I would figure a week is enough for a taper in a half, but he keeps you going up and up until you peak the week before the race(!) I wouldn't have guessed that, but I'm glad it goes beyond a ten-mile long run. To truly improve, more that ten is needed, and I know you have a goal in mind this year and are frankly well beyond the beginner stage by now. I gave "Team Hytek" his beginner plan for the half, and it topped out at ten. It'll get you to the finish, but not much more than that.