Sunday, January 15, 2012

No Longer The Cruelest Month*

January used to be one of my least favorite months.  It was dull, felt endless and the weather was crappy.  But somewhere along the way there was a shift.  Now, I find myself actually enjoying the month.  January is the calm and order after the zaniness of the holiday season.  Everything is more peaceful, it is the feeling of a fresh start, and the chance to slow down and enjoy life a little bit.  It has probably also helped that the weather this winter has been so wonderful at least until today. 

Yesterday, Kevin and I headed downtown for a little window shopping, Fran's Chocolates eating (only one truffle and a non-fat latte - weigh-in should be OK on Tuesday.  Amazing amount of restraint) and then off to the Paramount to see West Side Story.  West Side Story is one of my all-time favorite movies and I can't begin to count how many times I listened to the soundtrack.  Kevin was brave in taking me because he knew it meant days of walking around the house singing the Jet's Song, America and Cool along with lots of finger snapping.  Better than the "Smack My Bitch Up" I was singing earlier in the day I guess.
Photo by Carol Rosegg
The performance didn't disappoint.  It was just as good as the movie.  And it reminded me of my alternate universe dream jobs:  playing Anita in West Side Story.  Other than the singing, dancing and acting ability I would totally have this one in the bag.

Today we busied ourselves with chores around the house and when I saw all the big, beautiful flakes falling from the sky we threw on our warm clothes and headed out for a walk in the snow.  Kind of threw my running plans off a bit but I will just have to go tomorrow night to the lake and hope it isn't too slick.  I have a love/hate relationship with snow.  It is gorgeous, no doubt about that but I don't like having to try to drive anywhere in it.  Hopefully it will be gone for everyone's commutes tomorrow.



*That always belonged to February anyway

No comments: