Monday, July 4, 2011

Summer Sounds

I have been craving some new music lately and every time I tune into one of the local stations to hear something new they will inevitably play a Nirvana or Pearl Jam song.  Or, if I am at the pop-ier end of the dial I get a whole bunch of bland pop that does nothing for me.  I am sure if I kept listening there would be good tunes in there but I can't bring myself to wade through it anymore.

Enter my favorite podcast, TBTL.  They recently had a Song of the Summer contest and because of that I found a few fabulous new songs.  A few I was already familiar with but there were a few gems in there that were brand new to me (cooler people than me already probably knew them).  I had already latched on to Foster the People's "Pumped Up Kicks" and Fitz and the Tantrums "Moneygrabber" before their contest but this song by Jenny O was a happy find.

How about this one from Rye Rye?
Or one that they played on their podcast and what is probably one of the better summer songs I have ever heard but have somehow missed for the last three years:  Little Jackie "The Stoop."

 

How did I miss this song for three years? Clearly I really need to start making a point of finding new music more often.  

Or these guys, The Head and the Heart.  Local band makes good.  This is one that I actually did find on radio and they make me very happy.  I also love the fact that their current lineup came together at Conor Byrne, bar of many happy, inebriated times.

Since we played all weekend today is serious house cleaning day.  I am glad I have these songs to turn up and make the chores go a little faster.  Tonight when we grill outside they will also provide a perfect summer soundtrack.   

If anyone else has new (or old) favorite Songs of the Summer I would love to hear them.  I'm always in the market for new tunes.

No comments: