Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Gobble, Gobble, Gobble

We are hosting a small gathering for six for Thanksgiving this year and preparations are, um, well...sort of underway.  We have shopped and Kevin is picking up our fresh turkey from the butcher shop tonight.  The house is still kind of a mess because we ground to an almost complete halt on any form of housework after the pumpkin carving party.  We should be able to get that all done tonight.  Maybe.

Anyway, our menu is going to be the basics but I am trying a few new recipes for some old standards.  Thank you internet for your bounty of available recipes and reviews!  Instead of just plain old pumpkin pie (don't get me wrong, I love it but want to try something new) we are having Honey Phyllo Pumpkin Pie.  Instead of the back of the package cranberry sauce I am trying Spice Scented Cranberry Sauce.  And because I have an ice-cream maker attachment for my KitchenAid that needs to be broken in still and some straight from a Tahitian market vanilla beans waiting to be used we are making Vanilla Ice Cream.  I am also going to make a pear, pecan, blue cheese salad with maple vinaigrette for dinner.  We have never had a salad on the Thanksgiving dinner table before and I think we need one item that is fresh and not entirely drenched in butter or grease.  But just one, let's not go crazy.

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving wherever you are and whatever you find yourself doing tomorrow.  

No comments: